The orang asli community in Kelantan had set up a blockade in the Balah Permanent Forest Reserve in Gua Musang, Kelantan on September 24th. The initiative was to prevent loggers from going in and out of what the local villagers claim is part of their ancestral land, to prevent further deforestation of the land. The standoff between the Orang Asli activists and the loggers escalated on September 26 when the loggers appeared to have used chainsaws to cut down the barricade while the activists were still clinging on to it. Once the barricade was dismantled, they drove one of their lumber lorries through the path, also forcing the orang asli group to retreat.
The confrontation has sparked various reactions from different factions, including the Police saying they would investigate the incident, the Kelantan Loggers Association (PPK) denying allegations that it had carried out forest clearing activities there and bullied the orang asli who were living in that area. Despite the confrontation, the orang asli community remained determined to maintain the blockade. The barricade was restored after the loggers left.
- 1 - 1 Orang Asli show solidarity with 47 arrested activists 2 Min 6 Sec
- 1 - 2 Logging Blockade Aid 1 Min 23 Sec
- 1 - 3 Another orang asli blockade 2 Min 58 Sec
- 1 - 4 The Bamboo Blockade 5 Min 47 Sec
- 1 - 5 Orang Asli demands answer on the blockade 3 Min 49 Sec
- 1 - 6 Orang Asli blockaders find themselves blockaded 2 Min 5 Sec
- 1 - 7 Kelantan government to find an amicable solution to the stand-off 2 Min 19 Sec
- 1 - 8 Immediate stop work order issued for disputed logging sites 0 Min 59 Sec
- 1 - 9 Orang asli group wants MB to meet them over land issue 1 Min 36 Sec
- 1 - 10 Kelantan MCA: Orang Asli custodians of the forest 0 Min 58 Sec
- 1 - 11 Loggers confront Siti Kasim in FB video 2 Min 45 Sec
- 1 - 12 Loggers Association accuses Siti Kasim of instigating Orang Asli 1 Min 56 Sec
- 1 - 13 EXCLUSIVE: Thugs break up Orang Asli blockade with chainsaw 3 Min 9 Sec
- 1 - 14 Orang asli group want action against land encroachment by loggers 2 Min 21 Sec